Friday, October 22, 2021

Two quadruple portraits from the history of Rock 'n' Roll


Can: Michael Karoli, Irmin Schmidt/Holger Czukay, Jaki Liebezeit
Surprisingly perhaps, but Can had never been in a Top 100 before this year. I never owned a record either. I think I had a tape once with some of their music on it. Holger Czukay was once listed as a solo artist in the very first Top 100, that of 1983. Malcolm Mooney was in the Top 100 of 2011. He was intermittently associated with Can as a singer. He is not included on the track Millionenspiel, a song from The Lost Tapes with old recordings that appeared in 2012.
Sonic Youth: Thurston Moore; Kim Gordon/Lee Ranaldo; Steve Shelley
Fellow experimental avant-garde rockers Sonic Youth however, were in the list multiple times. The last three years with the song Shaking Hell from Confusion is Sex. [1983] The two paintings above are kind of a pair. I intended every quarter of the canvas featuring a band member but the Sonic Youth painting that I did first was so tedious that I amended the idea when I started the Can painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment