Sunday, August 15, 2021

Black is a color

2020 was a horrible year. A political nightmare here in the States, a pandemic of epic proportions, and the killing of several African-Americans by police forces in several cities in the US. The killing of George Floyd in May of 2020, the next one in a series of high-profile instances of police brutality, took things to a boiling point. The country, and the world at that time, were on hold, in quarantine at the higth of the first wave of COVID-19 pandemic, but the racially motivated killings could not keep hundreds of thousands of people to take to the streets. I was not one of them, I'm not one to take to the streets, but I very much felt the pain and I have been a vocal sympathizer to the cause, to the Black Lives Matter movement. Naturally the music selected to listen to in those days reflected these sentiments and I found myself listening to the soundtrack of various Civil Rights movements. Somewhere around that time a documentary was aired (I think it might have been on VH1) about the Black Panther movement of the 60s and 70s. I was highly impressed by the soundtrack of that documentary and by the artwork of Emery Douglas, who provided the graphics for Black Panther publications. One of the anthems for the civil rights/black liberation movements of the 1970s was The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by the soul and jazz poet Gil-Scott Heron. The inclusion in the documentary The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution made the song re-apear in my Top 100.
Another one that entered the Top 100 2020 in the same week in the early Summer of 2020 was Black Is... by the Last Poets. I've been a long time fan of the Last Poets and by chance I happened to meet Umar Bin Hassan (who wrote and recorded Black Is...). This was in 2005 after a concert by the legendary Reggae group Culture, at Alrosa Village in Columbus, Ohio. The person in charge of the programming, a huge Reggae fan who had been visiting my Top 100 shows around that time, had invited me back stage. This is when I ended up smoking some joints with Umar Bin Hassan. Good times! The focus on civil rights themed music then also brought Nina Simone back on my radar (not that she was ever far off) and I listened to a good many records I own of hers. She's twice in the Top 100 2020. My all time favorite of hers is Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair and after a high ranking in 2020 it reappeared in the 2021 version. The provisional #36 spot in the Top 100 2021 of that song neatly coincided (in terms of painting the entries according to their positions on the lists) with numbers 98 and 99 of the Top 100 2020: The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron.
Nina Simone/Emile Latimer


 

No comments:

Post a Comment