Sunday, March 21, 2021

Gesture Drawing

Karin Johansson-Edvards, Matts Arnberg, and Elin Lisslass
Pretty much all of the drawings that comprise the Top 100 2020 started out with a gestural sketch. Gesture drawings are an invaluable aid to achieve essential characteristics of the people portrayed. Usually little evidence of the initial sketch remains once the drawing is finished but today I left it, considered the drawing done after a half an hour of sketching. The one difference of this gesture drawing compared to others is that instead of a black pencil colored pencils were used. I selected the image above from a Swedish website dedicated to the history of kulning (a type of cattle call singing used primarily by women from the mountainous northern part of Sweden) thinking I needed to illustrate a certain anonymous kulning song recorded by Radio Sweden in 1965. After a good amount of research I concluded that the song was likely recorded by Matts Arnberg, and that the singer most likely would be either Karin Johansson-Edvards, or Elin Lisslass. Historical recordings of kulning are rare and featured usually one of the two singers mentioned. The mp3 file I have of the song originates from the collection La Voz Humana en la musica, parte I. During my research I found the original Swedish source, an LP called Lockrop & Vallatar: Ancient Swedish Pastoral Music. Listening to small soundbites from the latter I realized my recording didn't match. It turned out I had mislabeled my recording, confusing it with the other kulning recording on La Voz Humana that comes directly afterwards. It's a live recording of a kulning song sung during the 1995 Falun Folk Festival. This is the recording belonging to the Top 100 2020. I have now fixed the error.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment