Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Trois jeux de gorge

Nellie Echalook and Rebecca Natialuk
11 x 14 inches, mixed media on paper, 2020
As long as the stay-at-home order stays in place, I'll keep doing these meticulous drawings for the Top 100 2020. I'll go by my preliminary list starting at no. 1 which I did last week. This is then the no. 3 thus far; a recording made by Nicole Beaudry at Cape Corset, Baffin Land in 1974. The recording is the first track from the CD Canada: Chants et Jeux des Inuit [Musiques & Musiciens du Monde, Unesco Collection, 1991; first appeared as an LP in 1976]. The track is labeled Trois Katajjait de la Terre du Baffin and alternatively Trois Jeux de Gorge, Katajjaq. The one track has three recordings made on different occasions by four singers (each recording is a duet, as Katajjait are typically performed by two singers.) The performers are: Elijah Pudloo Mageeta, Quanak Martha Meekeega; Napache Samaejuk Pootoogook, and Napache Etidloie Toonoo. I have not been able to find any photographs of any of the performers on the CD but was delighted to find an image of two performers who in a previous year were listed, Nellie Echalook and Rebecca Natialuk. I did not have this image available to me when I made a painting illustrating their katajjaq. At this point there are already ten different katajjait listed in my top 100 list, several from the CD mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment