Saturday, December 15, 2018

Grinding Corn, Pounding Maize

Ana Caraballo
14 x 9 inches, oil and acrylic on canvas, 2018
Another work song (see Ulahi) that is featured on the CD The Origins of Music (see post from November 23.) Every track on that CD is part of this year's top 100. From Magarita Island in Venezuela comes a recording of Ana Caraballo made by Francisco Carreño and Miguel Cardona in 1949. When I painted the same image in 2013, I must have missed the information concerning the identity of the singer when I tagged the painting as Venezuelan Girl (I should have named her woman instead of girl). I assume that the photographer responsible for this tiny black & white image in the liner notes of volume 9 of The Columbia World Library of Folk and Primitive Music would be either Carreño or Cardona. What's different too is that I have the recording listed as Corn Grinding Song whereas five years ago it was Pounding Maize. Maize is the staple of the inhabitants of Margarita Island as Sago is the staple of the Bosavi forest people to whom Ulahi belongs. The authors also credited Asuncion Caraballo as musician but I have hard time making out a second person on the recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment