Saturday, November 5, 2011

The National Sitar Ensemble

India National Sitar Ensemble
(Sitar Music of India, sleeve)
14" x 16", oil on canvas, 2011
Sitar Music of India is a really great record of Indian folk music featuring the India National Sitar Ensemble with the Indian Folk Ensemble released by the Californian Everest label. The music has the stateliness of Indian classical music and the excitement minus the kitsch of Bollywood film music, the best of both worlds. I'd imagined a music like that would exist, i just hadn't heard it yet. In my mind I can dream up the greatest music, you see, but when you put an instrument in front of me I'm instantly lost. I can dream up the greatest paintings too, but when I execute them they're never like the ones I dream, or in the few cases when they are, I realize that a painting in a dream can look a hundred times better than a material one. Don't get me wrong: I don't discourage dreaming, I think dreaming is alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment