Friday, February 15, 2013

Sugar Man

Rodriguez
11" x 8.5", 2013
watercolor, pencil, pen, ink
It occasionally happens that my lists are in synch with those of the mainstream. Usually this is related to a current event. It could be the passing of an icon, a lifetime achievement award, or the making of a film about some musician. In the last case this musician is now Rodriguez. When I first heard about the film a half year ago ago, I was intrigued and had to find out what the musician in the film was all about. I had never heard of him and neither did anyone else it seemed. But by now it is not even necessary anymore to summarize his story in these few lines available here, because everybody would have heard all about him already as the film is nominated for an Oscar for best documentary. I haven't seen the film yet, just the same excerpts as anyone can see on YouTube, but I've listened to a lot of his music that suddenly have become available on various sharing sites. The documentary is called Searching for Sugar Man, the alter ego of Sixto, or Jesús Rodriguez, and also the title of the song in the Top 100 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment