Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Moldy Peaches (1)

Kimya Dawson
24" x 12"
oil on board, 2011
Browsing through a friend's CD cabinet my eyes fell on a disc titled The Moldy Peaches. Curiosity made me put it in the CD player, and I was hooked. I heard very happy upbeat lo-fi pop songs even though the lyrics are far from that, but the one-take performances radiated lots of joy. I borrowed the CD and my friend added a Kimya Dawson solo CD called My Cute Friend Sweet Princess to it. Kimya Dawson is one half of the band The Moldy Peaches, Adam Green is the other. I'll make a painting of him soon too. The Moldy Peaches released by Rough Trade Records in 2001 is the first official disc on Which Kimya Dawson can be heard, My Cute Friend Sweet Princess is from 2004. Kimya Malaika Dawson was born in Bedford, NY 1972. Kimya Malaika is Swahili meaning silent angel but she doesn't have any Swahili ancesters. Her brother's name is Akida (chief) Junglefoot Dawson. Kimya Dawson and the Moldy Peaches are best known for their work on the Juno soundtrack. Their music was given the label "Anti-Folk". Last thing I should mention here is that the image I modeled the painting after is from the blog Celebrity Babies, hosted by People.com. Her baby Panda is up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment