Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beth Orton and the Animals

Beth Orton
10.5" x 10.25"
oil on wood, 2010

If Beth Orton would be asked what kind of animal she'd be, what would she answer? I asked myself that question the other day. And why you might think? Because earlier on in these pages (see Varg and Vark, April) I declared this the year of the aardvark. I may have to reconsider this now Beth Orton has three songs already in the Top 100 2010. The answer would definitely not be an aardvark (or would it?), and neither a chicken nor a worm. The latter two figure in the song Worms from the CD Comfort of Strangers, while she drew a butterfly to go along with it. But she'd be the opposite, she'd be a fox, or a crow, or a weasel. Suggestions? I am a chicken, remember? (see Varg and Vark again), I don't have what it takes to knock on her door, "Chickens don't fly but they've got the wings/no matter how hard they try/they bump into things/they're all running around/with their heads on the ground/They got a wish bone where their neck bone should've grown".

I wait for your comments before I once and for good establish the animal of the year. If I should stick with the aardvark or not. Aardvarks in the meantime, live in South Africa, and it couldn't be the year of the aardvark without music from South Africa. To follow up on the last post; here's the painting representing South Africa's Miss Smodern as I had promised.

Africa Jazz 1959
(after a photograph by Gunther Komnick)
6.5" x 8"
oil on wood, 2010


p.s. —It dawned on me that the answer to the question posted above (what kind of animal Beth Orton would be) had to be a crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment