Monday, June 20, 2022

Disorder

Vision of Disorder/Naxi group at Puji monastery, Yunnan, China
I've been experimenting with the concept of double exposure. I covered an old painting of Vision of Disorder (VoD) from 2015 with strings of tape and painted part of a Naxi group over top of it. Then I removed the tape. I hoped for magic when I pulled the tape but was was left with disappointment in stead. I thought for sure the sum would be greater than the parts. Below are small reproductions of the 2015 painting and the Naxi group on the same canvas. 30x40 inches.

Not really pleased with the result I am planning on changing the tactics a bit and try again. The image of the Naxi group comes from a book by Helen Rees: Echoes of History: Naxi Music in Modern China (Oxford Press, 2000.) The book comes with a cd and a song from the cd appears in the Top 100 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment