Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Time for more singing in the shower

Nanang Marin, Dumagat representative
14 x 11 inches, acrylic on paper, 2020
It seems like it was just a few weeks ago but upon checking my painting of a Dumagat woman, representing anonymous throat singing from the Top 100 2019, was made way back in November of last year. Throat Singing in the Shower I headed that post. This reminds me: while talking on the phone with a friend the other day I couldn't think of a single COVID joke to tell and later in writing I reminisced of the laughter of a bygone era. Had I lost my humor? I've been so serious lately, I even wrote a post on facebook on ethical behavior and following instructions by health authorities in the face of the pandemic. So here's one I recently heard: "I've been staying at home for three weeks now and following all the instructions the health department recommends. But now, I believe, I need a shower." The Dumagat are known among Filipinos as "colored people" and like African Americans here the subject of racism.  The recording of the song, subtitled "Anooway" was made by David Blair Stiffler in the 1980s but was not released until 2012. It appears on Music from the Mountain Provinces on Numerophone. More about Stiffler's adventures in the Philippines in this post from December 2019. Nanang Marin depicted above is a community leader and representative of the Dumagat people. She's a stand in to represent the singer in absence of a photographic image of the anonymous performer heard throat singing on the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment