Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cassette w/Arabic script

Unidentified singer
28.5" x 16.5"
oil and pastel on canvas, 2011
Who can help me identify this singer? It's from a cassette and the only information given is in Arabic script. I can't read it. Below is a pictures of the cassette (side 1), please be so kind to translate it for me if you can. The music is generous in its detail, pathos of plenty but not kitsch. And a beautiful voice. Somehow I think the singer may be Lebanese, I don't know why I think that but the tape was filed with others from Lebanon from the day I bought it. Once, a long time ago, it must have been the late 80s, Fairuz was #1 in my Top 100. She sung Ya Ana, Ya Ana together with the Rahbani Brothers set to music of Beethoven's Für Elise. It was my first foray into the music of Lebanon. 
The background in the painting above is again of my back yard. Featured this time are three palm trees neatly lined up. The singer then, is superimposed with pastels. I didn't attempt to save too much landscape this time.

2 comments:

  1. This is a CC for Saliha - صالحة. You can take it from there.

    Note: You should at least rip it.
    H.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you very much Hammer, I was waiting for a comment like yours! I've changed information in my archive. Unfortunately I do not have the software for ripping from cassettes. I'll let you know when, and if I do.

    ReplyDelete