Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Big Swim!

Donia Massoud
19.5" x 9"
oil on wood, 2011
Yugoslavian woman in 
traditional dress
13" x 7.5"
oil on wood, 2011





















Croatia is only a boat ride away from Egypt. Down the Adriatic and Ionian seas and across the Mediterranean. The inclusion of music from those countries brings the total to 32. I have not always payed attention but this must be a Top 100 record. It's a reflection of my ever increasing focus towards international music in my collection. I really collect records in the same manner how I collected stamps when I was much younger. The criteria were aesthetic, nothing more, nothing less. The Donia Massoud recording is a wailing song, an ever growing musical sub-collection of mine. The sound quality of it is poor, coming from an audience made concert recording. I found it on YouTube. Massoud is a guest vocalist in the band Massar Ekbar. I'm not too crazy about that band, the wailing of the solo guitar doesn't cut it for me but Massoud's wailing voice makes more than up for it. What a great mournful voice! The Croatian recording comes from the album Folk Music of Yugoslavia, it's a love song, what great happy voices! The recording dates of these two musical recordings are as long apart as it would take to swim from Croatia to Egypt: just a little more than half a century.

No comments:

Post a Comment