Saturday, February 11, 2023

I.M. Gal Costa

Caetano Veloso/Gal Costa
Gal Costa died just a few months ago at the age of 77 in Sao Paulo. I only learned about it a week ago when preparing for this painting and updating my archive. Back in my old radio days in the Netherlands I used to know it quite fast when a musician had died, my friend Wim, once a year, in January, did a radio special playing music from musicians who had died that year. He kept a list all year, and of course I was being kept up to date. Not so much anymore, if it isn't news for the big media, I probably won't hear about it. I'm actually surprised the passing of Gal Costa was not newsworthy enough, as she had been an important figure in Brazilian, and world music. I had never painted her before and her Relance, a b-side of her hit Milho Verde, written by Caetano Veloso, is her first ever listing in a Top 100. Together with Veloso, Maria Bethania (Veloso's sister), Os Mutantes, and Gilberto Gil, Gal Costa formed the core of the Tropicalia movement in Brasil, a mix of bossa nova, samba, and rock 'n' roll. The version of Relance in my list is a live TV performance with the group Dumingunhos from 1970.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment