Sunday, February 9, 2020

It's not all that esoteric



Dillinger
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas, 2020
Cocaine in My Brain was a huge Top 40 hit for Reggae star Dillinger during my coming of age years in the Netherlands. It made it all the way to #1 in 1976. I'm sure the single Marijuana in My Brain from the following year was intended to replicate that success but failed to do so. You'd expect more given the Dutch affinity with marijuana. The band Doe Maar had a smash hit in 1980 with their marijuana anthem Nederwiet. I bought the Dillinger single in 1987 (I used to write dates on 45s). Dillinger, named by the legendary producer Lee Perry, was born Lester Bullock on June 25, 1953 in Kingston, Jamaica. I just finished painting Dillinger and have now just six more to go for the Top 100 2019. I figure I forward some of the (not so esoteric) paintings from these series that were painted last year. First Nick Cave, who after so many years made the list again due to the Peel Session Sampler LP that I played a few times last year. The record features Big Jesus Trash Can by Cave's band The Birthday Party. Adam Horovitz returned because of an MTV video  Live in Glasgow that can be watched on YouTube, and Captain Beefheart's Owed t'Alex appears on the compilation The Dust Blows Forward from 1999. It originally appeared on Shiny Beast from 1978.
Captain Beefheart
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas, 2019
Nick Cave, The Birthday Party
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas, 2019
Adam Horovitz, The Beastie Boys
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment