Monday, August 5, 2019

The Nivkh of Sakhalin Island

Antonia Vasil'evna Skalygina?
14 x 11 inches, oil and metallic on canvas, 2019
The source of the above painting is a photograph by Henri Lecomte used as the cover for the cd Nivkh, Ujl'ta, Siberie 6, Sakhaline: Musique vocale et instrumentale (Buda Records, Musique du Monde, 1996.) I do not have the cd and therefore I can't say for sure if the person depicted is indeed Antonia Skalygina or not but I like to believe it is. It makes sense. The track in the list of 100 is called Alterateur de voix Kal'ni, voice modifier. The instrument shown could indeed be that modifier but perhaps it is a jew's harp (in which case the performer would be either Ol'ga Anatol'evna Njavan or Ekatarina Cirik.) When I selected the cover image to paint from I wasn't even sure if I was going to paint a man or a woman. An image search on Sakhalin traditional dress confirmed that the image is of a woman,  the jewelry confirmed my assumption furthermore. The painting is done on top of an earlier work from a series of abstractions that were initially intended to be used for portraiture but started a life of their own. It's the first one from about fifteen such works that is appropriated for the Top 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment