Saturday, July 20, 2019

Jean-Jacques Nattiez

Rekutkar performers
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas, 2019

Jean-Jacques Nattiez
14 x 11 inches, oil and spray paint on canvas, 2019
For the obvious reason of similarity in style I assumed that the three vocal throat singing traditions, the Inuit katajjait, the Ainu rekutkar, and the Chukchi pič eynen, found within the arctic circle must be related and/or have a common ancestor. I recently signed up for JSTOR, an online database of scholarly research papers and lo and behold the relationships have of course been studied at length. I am now the proud owner of a wealth of information about this subject. The paper I am referencing here is Inuit Throat-Games and Siberian Throat Singing: A Comparative, Historical, and Semiological Approach by Jean-Jacques Nattiez. I've also downloaded the liner notes to the cd Canada: Inuit Games and Songs produced by Nattiez. In these notes I am now able to identify all singers of katajjait in the Top 100 (there are many) that were previously anonymous. The two paintings presented here are to illustrate Imitation of the Cries of Geese and Assalalaa, the recordings were made by at Baffin Land  by Nicole Beaudry and Claude Charon in the mid seventies. The painting for Assalalaa I was working on from a photograph found by an image search of the terms katajjait combined with Jean-Jacques Nattiez represents not Inuit but Ainu singers. I intuited this was the case since I had not seen katajjait performed sitting down while the pose was the same as in my painting of rekutkar. The image I used was originally taken by I. Kurosawa (used by William P. Malm in 1963) and reproduced in Nattiez' paper. There's a hint of the Scottish flag in the bottom third of the painting that appeared when the thought of painting the flag arose. I never reject a thought but I obscured it later on as both the flag in form and meaning had really nothing to do with what I was painting. What I am most interested in is the history of these three vocal styles and its (ancient) origins. Nattiez hints in his paper at a possible shamanic origin of said vocal styles but it is hard to establish sound evidence for this hypothesis. Scientific papers do not, per definition, use incidental inferences.
Jean-Jacques Nattiez was born in Amiens, France, 30 December 1945. He is a musical semiologist and professor at the Université Montréal. He was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1990.

Nattiez, Jean-Jacques. "Inuit Throat-Games and Siberian Throat Singing: A Comparative, Historical, and Semiological Approach." Ethnomusicology 43, no. 3 (1999): 399-418. doi:10.2307/852555.

No comments:

Post a Comment