Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sonny Sharrock

Sonny and Linda Sharrock
14 x 11 inches, oil and acrylic on canvas, 2019
Even though Sonny Sharrock is a fairly well known musician and his music seems right up my alley, I had never heard of him until I picked a random title at Ubuweb's Film & Video. The movie Space Ghost Coast to Coast (1996) is a weird video that originally appeared on the Cartoon Network. The soundtrack was also weird enough for me to research the musician Sonny Sharrock (1940-1994.) Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) appears as a cameo. I bought then a digital copy of Sharrock's first solo album Black Woman of 1969. The music can be described as existing somewhere between Alice Coltrane and Yoko Ono. An old Top 100 alumni Milford Graves is the percussionist and drummer. Sharrock's wife Linda is the singer. Two tracks will appear in the Top 100 this year: Peanut and Portrait of Linda in Three Colors, All Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment