Friday, May 18, 2018

Popular Music

Florence Welch
9.5 x 4.75 inches, oil on wood, 2018
Florence + The Machine had a massive hit with the anthemic Shake it Out in 2011. I'm not much of a Pop Music aficionado but when Maria played the group performing the song on Saturday Night Live I was sold. Florence Welch clearly enjoyed being on the set of SNL as she couldn't shake a smile during her epic performance. The video was Maria's pick when she, Amy, and me presented each other with our favorite YouTube song. Mine was (talking about epic performances) the Late Show with Letterman version of M.I.A's Born Free, a song that has been my #1 for six straight years now. Amy picked Cat Power's To Be a Good Woman, already in my Top 100 list but it had never felt so intense before. I could have cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment