Saturday, December 23, 2017

Waiting Room

Ian MacKaye (Fugazi)
12 x 6 inches, oil on board, 2017
Fugazi was really popular among the squatter crowd that made up my social circle in the early 1990s. The band never, however, made it into my top 100 in those years. I don't know if it's nostalgia but the band makes its first appearance in the top 100 in 2017 after Minor Threat, MacKaye's previous band, was only listed for the first time in the last top 100. The song in question is Waiting Room, perhaps the most iconic off all Fugazi's material. It originally featured on the their first release, the self titled EP sometimes called 7 Songs in 1988. There's a really cool live version of it on YouTube. There's some discussion among fans concerning the meaning of the band name. Why does nobody bring up the name of the legendary 60s anarchist band the Fugs? The lyrics to Waiting Room ring home once again: "I don't want the news, I cannot use it."

No comments:

Post a Comment