Sunday, November 5, 2017

Hidden Vagenda

Kimya Dawson
16 x 20 inches, oil on canvas, 2017
Thanks to my friend Jake, who is a big fan, I have copies of most Kimya Dawson recordings. The former member, with Adam Green) of the Moldy Peaches has since released seven solo albums and a number of other recordings with different bands. I have been listening a lot recently to her fourth: Hidden Vagenda of 2004. The cd features a number of guests of whom Daniel Johnston and Regina Spektor are the best known. Most songs however are recorded in her kitchen with her characteristic acoustc guitar and solo voice. "It's Been Raining" is one of the solo ones and one of my favorites but I also like "Anthrax" with a full rock 'n' roll band and "I Will Never Forget" featuring a chorus of friends. They may all end up in this year's 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment