Monday, March 27, 2017

Krzysztof Penderecki (updated)

Krzysztof Penderecki
16 x 12 inches, oil on canvas paper, 2017
A few weeks ago I was given the opportunity to browse through a wall of classical records and take whatever I wanted. I was not hoggish and didn't take more than what I could comfortably carry in one arm. Obviously I was looking for modern classical and avant-garde. There wasn't a whole lot of it but surely worth going through all the boxes piled up high to the ceiling. They did not disappoint, the records that I took home. Favorite so far: Krzysztof Penderecki – The Song of Songs. The album holds four compositions by Penderecki performed by the Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra led by Penderecki himself. Included in the four is his most famous composition Threnody to the victims of Hiroshima composed between 1959 and 1961. The record is from 1976. Penderecki was born in Dębica, Poland in 1933.

No comments:

Post a Comment