Thursday, February 2, 2017

Alvin Lucier

Alvin Lucier (signed by Alvin Lucier)
15 x 7.5 inches, stencil, 2017
Another great night at the Bob Rauschenberg Gallery as the New York duo String Noise performed works written for them by the composer Alvin Lucier. I was sitting next to a student who happens to be an accomplished violin player in her own right, who gave me interesting anecdotes about how the works were performed. The composer was present, and he's quite the cult hero. People in the audience brought with them records from the 1960s to have them signed by Mr. Lucier. I had never even seen a record by Alvin Lucier. Anyway, for my twice-yearly stencil print project that I do with my art appreciation class, I used the opportunity to portray Alvin Lucier. I got them done in the nick of time so I could have him sign the print. Obviously I gave him a copy too, and so did I to the String Noise duo. I think it worked out alright. Below is a sketch I made of Mr. Lucier when he answered questions from the audience after the performance.
Alvin Lucier, Pencil on paper, 8 x 7 inches, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment