Thursday, January 12, 2017

Hey Ho Let's Go

The Ramones
16 x 20, oil on found canvas, 2016
The wonderful exhibition of Arturo Vega at the Bob Rauschenberg Gallery at FSW has ended. Arturo Vega, in the 1980s, was known as the fifth Ramone. He was responsible for the branding of the Ramones, he was their manager, stage and light designer, and so much more. Above all Arturo Vega was an artist and his series of Insult Paintings shown, alongside the more iconic American Seal paintings, belong to the memorable paintings I've seen this past year. My art students at FSW had never heard of the Ramones so I had to introduce them to some great early live performance videos of the band on YouTube. It branded the band into the memories of my students and into the my Top 100 of last year. Hey Ho, Let's Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment