Saturday, August 9, 2014

John & Yoko



Yoko Ono
8.5"x11", markers on paper, 2014

The source for the two drawings presented here is the same photograph in which the illustrious couple is divided by an American flag. Separated here in two drawings to represent Ono's song Air Male (1970) from the Fly album recorded with Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band and Helter Skelter (1967) from the Beatles' White Album which was actually written by Paul McCartney. I made the drawings last night experimenting with a new set of designer markers my wife gave me as a present. Yoko was the first drawing I did with these markers, and it's better than John's who came second. The American flag in the iconic photograph of the two is actually an art work by Ono and the stars of the flag are represented by skulls, the stripes are lines of texts, political anti-American statements. I played a small part earlier this year in the preparations for the Yoko Ono exhibit Imagine Peace at the Bob Rauschenberg Gallery. The videos in the show and the lectures accompanying it were to me the most interesting part of the exhibition.

John Lennon
8.5"x11", markers on paper, 2014
  

No comments:

Post a Comment