Saturday, May 18, 2013

Yes or no?

Alela Diane
12" x 9"
oil on canvas, 2013
There's always something awkward about the first three or four paintings in a new top 100 series. From the outside it may appear that the top 100 paintings are a continuous effort in which a new series naturally picks up where the old left it, but in my experience this is far from the truth. There is no rhythm established yet, no continuity, no concept for the new series when I paint the first paintings. And then there's the question: Should I go for another year, or should I quit? The first paintings in a series foreshadow another year of hard work, frustration, and self doubt. Making the first paintings is like getting on a sailboat to go across the ocean. Once you embarked you're in it for the long haul. With the prospect of having to make 98 more there is no excitement yet in these paintings. I was a bit depressed making this small canvas portrait of Alela Diane. I never felt right about this painting, but I didn't know why. While the doubt is in the painting there's no hesitance concerning the inclusion of the musician. Alela Diane is about to release a new album (About Farewell) and 2 songs were released as teasers early on. The Way We Fall is one of the two song and is already guaranteed inclusion in the Top 100 2013.

I painted a nice (and inspired) portrait of Alela Diane for the Top 100 2010 in 2011, the reproduction of which became the most visited page on this blog. The original painting was sent to a fund raiser in Miami where it was purchased by an art collector. The painting ended up being displayed in her house in Miami. A few weeks ago this house was featured in an episode of Four Houses on TLC. The small Alela Diane painting came in full view. (I don't recall ever to have seen my own work on TV.) I made some screen shots:

Alela Diane painting featured in Four Houses on TLC

No comments:

Post a Comment