Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blooddawn


Donn of Blooddawn
11" x 8.5"
ink and acrylic on paper, 2010

In black metal circles Blooddawn is best known as a song by the Swedish band Marduk. The word comes from a role playing game situated in Earth’s Second Dark Age. The players are prophets send to the blasted ruins of Earth. No wonder the term is popular among black metal bands. The bands Redrum and Lut’ also have songs with that title (they may be covers of the Marduk song, I don’t know), and there are several bands named Blooddawn: A trash metal band from Germany, black metal bands from Brazil and the UK, and there is a death metal band called Blood By Dawn. The British band is from Newcastle upon Tyne in the Northeast. Donn and P are their members, and their song Nailed Fist is found on the cd accompanying the only metal magazine I have: Zero Tolerance (#33), the same magazine I found Vampyre Corpse in. I don’t know what it is about black metal images that makes me pull out my sketchbook and draw with black ink (rather than my usual oil on wood.) Maybe I do know what it is about black metal but am too embarrassed to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment